Friday, February 27, 2009

yeah, the city weights

Yeah, the pics do feel very heavy to me. They were taken on a an overcast day (most of them) and printed on gray rives bfk, so that could have something to do with it. Part of it could be that sometimes the city does make me feel heavy. Also, color choice -- muted, washed out. I don't feel like the images want to be light, as far as in the photos, but I do feel that when I start drawing them a lot, they will start to lighten up. The thing I love most is the fabric, which is really a black mesh. I like standing on my roof and seeing it blowing against the scaffolding of the school. They pretty much only work on it at night and in the evenings, I guess so as not to disrupt classes. The hand-drawny looking shapes in colors were monoprint. The graphite y-shaped spiky things were drawn after I printed out the image from the printer onto the monoprints. These pics are kind of what I have been feeling like, on and off lately. Not super light. I vascillate. Place does really determine how we delineate space in our artwork. When I lived in KNoxville, I was making these big open landscape-y drawings, things falling into space. Here, things are much more cramped and urban. I am wondering if the two will collide when I get back to Dallas. More art coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment